Emergency Situations

EMERGENCY & NON-EMERGENCY GUIDELINES

We are pleased to provide our residents with 24 Hour Emergency Service.  We believe that if you know what to expect from us, then you will be better prepared to deal with an unexpected event. Please keep these instructions handy for easy reference. Thank you.

EMERGENCY SITUATIONS:

NO HEAT: This is only an emergency in extreme cold weather in wintertime and when the heater is not working due to mechanical malfunction. If your gas or electric are shut off due to non-payment of your bill, please call your electric or gas provider to see if there is an outage, Cherryland Electric 231-486-9200 and/or DTE 800-477-4747.

NO ELECTRICITY: Electrical outage may be considered an emergency ONLY if there is no electricity throughout the unit AND:

  • You have called Cherryland Electric 231-486-9200 AND they are not at fault
  • You have checked all circuit breakers by flipping them hard to the OFF position and then hard to the ON position (Panel is located in the hallway).
  • You have reset any and all GFI breakers (these are the little buttons found on outlets in the bathrooms, kitchens, laundry room and garages).

Partial outages do not constitute an emergency. If a wall switch or outlet begins to smoke or smells like it is burning CALL 911, then turn off the switch, un-plug items from the outlet and turn off the circuit breaker. Then report the problem via email as a maintenance request at apartments@labellemgt.com.

GAS LEAK: Please contact DTE from a phone NOT located inside the apartment. Sparks from phones, even a cell phone can ignite gas. Natural gas has the unmistakable odor of rotten eggs. If you suspect the furnace is leaking gas, call DTE right away at 800-477-4747

FLOOD: Call us immediately at 231-938-0100 if there is risk of damage to possessions or the property and you cannot contain the leak yourself. If leak is caused by a broken pipe, and you can locate it, turn off the water to that pipe or to the exterior water main until a contractor arrives. Do everything within your power to try and contain any leaks/flooding. If necessary contact other residents that may be affected.

FIRE: CALL 911 FIRST if you are not able to extinguish it with a fire extinguisher (located in your kitchen and in the lobby). Always call 231-938-0100 to report this once you are in a safe location.